Date: November 26, 2005
Tests Prove Eaton's Fuller Ultrashift HV Delivers Better Fuel Economy
KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- Diversified industrial manufacturer Eaton Corporation (NYSE: ETN) has confirmed the fuel economy benefits of the Fuller UltraShift HV (Highway Value) medium-duty transmission with recent independent test results showing fuel savings from 7 percent to19 percent, depending upon the application.
The tests, conducted by an independent firm in accordance with SAE J1526 “Joint TMC/SAE Fuel Consumption In-Service Test Procedure, Type III,” measured the UltraShift HV transmission against a conventional automatic transmission. When tested according to SAE protocol in an urban setting requiring numerous stops and starts, the UltraShift HV transmission delivered fuel economy savings of up to 19 percent as compared to the conventional automatic transmission. The UltraShift HV transmission delivered 7.5 percent improved fuel economy in the SAE test protocol for on-highway operation.
At $2.85 per gallon for fuel, and 30,000 miles of city driving per year, the UltraShift HV transmission provides a potential fuel savings of up to $1,490 per year. And, with no scheduled maintenance for 500,000 miles, the UltraShift HV transmission can save $210 per year in lube and filter costs. For a fleet of 10 trucks, annual savings could reach $17,000.
UltraShift HV“With the ever increasing cost of fuel and raw materials, companies throughout the trucking industry are looking for ways to reduce costs,” said Bill Gross, product manager for Eaton’s medium-duty transmissions. “The UltraShift HV transmission allows companies to do just that.” Gross continued, “The design of the UltraShift transmission allows ‘lock-up’ between the clutch and transmission at approximately 3 miles per hour, as compared to lock-up at approximately 24 miles per hour with a conventional automatic. Until lock-up is achieved, the truck is wasting power and fuel. The UltraShift transmission’s design provides a significant improvement in fuel economy, particularly in stop-and-go operations.”
The UltraShift HV is a fully automated transmission system, sharing technologies and electronic components from proven and reliable Fuller UltraShift heavy-duty transmissions. Designed for Class 6 and 7 vehicles with diesel engines in the 195 to 260 horsepower range, the HV is capable of handling torque capacities up to 660 lbs./ft. and loads up to 33,000 lbs. GVW. Pickup & delivery, service/utility and recovery applications are ideally suited for the operational characteristics of the UltraShift HV transmission.
The UltraShift HV transmission will be available in January 2006 as a databook option on International Truck and Engine’s 4300 and 4400 model chassis with a DT 466, 225 horsepower engine. Customers can order the UltraShift HV transmission today at their International dealer for delivery in 2006, by asking for it as an “SQ” option. Key features and benefits of the UltraShift HV transmission include:
* No Scheduled Maintenance: No filters to change and Lubed for Life provides lower maintenance and downtime costs than the competition over the lifecycle of the truck (based on 500,000 miles defined as life).
* Hill Assist: Automatically minimizes rollback on up to 10% grades while the operator makes the transition from the brake pedal to the accelerator. Benefits the driver in both uphill and downhill stop/start situations.
* Warranty: Vocationally tailored warranty coverage for up to three years, unlimited mileage, parts and labor (customers should ask the OEM dealer regarding specific coverage for their application).
* Modular Design: provides more rapid service and reduced service costs.
* Commonality: electronics modules and shift controls used on other Fuller manual and automated transmissions allow service providers to reduce service parts inventories and speed training and certification of technicians
Several unique electronic service features are part of the new “Gen 3” electronics in the HV including:
* “Electronic Snapshot” – takes a data picture of the system when the fault occurred.
* “Wiggle Test” – tests system connections by simulating an operating environment with vibrations and jarring.
* Service Port – Separate test port allows technician to test the system without disturbing the current condition of the components and wiring.
* Driver-triggered Data Logger – captures 10 seconds of system performance data to capture and record hard-to-replicate faults when they occur in actual operation.
For more information on the Fuller UltraShift HV transmission and other Roadranger products and services, visit www.roadranger.com, or write to Roadranger Marketing, P.O. Box 4013, Kalamazoo, MI 49003. To reach Roadranger customer service right now, dial 1-800-826-HELP (4357) in the U.S. and Canada. In Mexico, dial 01-800-826-4357.
The Roadranger Solution is an unbeatable combination of the best drivetrain, chassis and safety components from Dana Corporation and Eaton Corporation; all backed by Roadranger service – among the most experienced, expert, and accessible drivetrain consultants in the business.
Eaton is the leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of drivetrain systems and components for medium-duty and heavy-duty commercial vehicles on the American continents. In concert with its manufacturing and marketing partners, principally Dana Corporation, Eaton markets the “Roadranger System” – a complete line of drivetrain components, systems, safety products and service tools, including manual and automatic transmissions, clutches, driveshafts, steer and drive axles, trailer axles and suspensions, brakes, anti-lock braking systems, tire pressure management systems, collision warning systems with adaptive cruise control, and mobile diagnostic tools and software.
Eaton Corporation is a diversified industrial manufacturer with 2004 sales of $9.8 billion. Eaton is a global leader in electrical systems and components for power quality, distribution and control; fluid power systems and services for industrial, mobile and aircraft equipment; intelligent truck drivetrain systems for safety and fuel economy; and automotive engine air management systems, powertrain solutions and specialty controls for performance, fuel economy and safety. Eaton has 58,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 125 countries.