Energy Storage Solutions
- Film capacitors, liquid cooling and generous design margins reduce component stress and extend product life
- Eaton's maintenance, remote monitoring and services ensure energy storage system electrical equipment is operating at peak performance and help prevent equipment issues before they occur
- Eaton's Type 3R/4 enclosures and outdoor electrical houses help protect equipment and keep it running, no matter the environment
- Eaton also supports energy storage systems after start-up, offering remote monitoring services and an extensive selection of worker training
- Eaton’s energy storage inverters have one of the industry’s highest efficiencies available. Transformerless design, proprietary control strategies and filter design result in over 98% peak power efficiency.
- Eaton builds energy storage systems tailored to unique requirements, providing DC switching equipment, AC switching equipment and the inverter in one assembly. The installation is easy to install and preconfigured, saving space, time and costs.
- Various storage devices, with different voltage and current requirements, need special consideration and analysis to address system integration and potential effects on the electrical system. Eaton's team of experienced engineers provides the skills necessary for a successful energy storage system installation, from initial assessment through post-installation measurement and verification.
- Eaton is an industry leader in product solutions with safety-conscious design and installation that comply with the latest industry codes and standards.
- Eaton’s Electrical Services & Systems team of engineers provides arc flash studies and power system audits to help ensure worker safety by reducing hazardous incidents.
- Workers can attend Eaton training programs designed to help users identify and avoid potential hazards such as arc flash and arc fault.
Eaton enables the integration of utility grade battery systems onto the AC grid with the Power Xpert Storage energy storage grid-tie inverters. Power Xpert Storage inverters provide the link for bi-directional flow of energy from grid to battery and battery to grid.
- Poor location of generation
- Variability and uncertainty of generation
- Insufficient control over generation
Energy storage provides utilities with solutions to these and other challenges through grid management features, such as peak power shaving, load leveling and grid stabilization.
Peak Power Shaving
Congested corridors where distribution replacement costs are high are prime candidates where energy storage systems can be applied. Stored energy can make up the difference between power distribution limits and high peak load demands.
Customer owned storage enables avoidance of peak demand charges. Utility owned load levellers help defer costs of new generation and/or distribution.
With high penetration of alternative energy, generation utilities experience a high rate of power change (ΔP/Δt) due to wind shifts or rapid cloud cover, making it difficult for existing grid generation to keep up. This often results in voltage and frequency instability. With Eaton’s Series 6001 grid-tie inverters, batteries can respond from full charge to full discharge power within one AC cycle, providing rapid response energy damping to fast shifting demands.
Time-of-use load shifting
Time of use metering has become prevalent in many utilities. Customers can now charge battery systems during off peak hours and discharge them during high peak hour charge times of the day, thereby reducing overall energy costs for hard-to-shift time-of-use loads.
The Power Xpert Storage energy storage grid-tie inverter offers reliable high-performance conversion with a 20-year life for utility-scale grid-tie battery applications. High performance is realized with a wide end-of charge to full-charge voltage window that allows full battery storage potential to be achieved.
Achieve both disconnecting means and overcurrent protection with Eaton's DC Circuit Breakers, which are rated up to 2000 Amps at 600V DC. When a disconnect only is required, a DC rated Molded Case Switch can be used. PV Solar applications include recombiners and inverter disconnects.
Eaton's AC safety switches provide a means to manually connect or disconnect the load from the source.
Eaton's DC switchboard has a much smaller footprint than spreading the switches out in a rack, making it a smart solution for installations where space is at a premium and providing a 25 percent savings on installation costs.
Our specialists can manage a construction project from start to finish. With our project-management services, you’ll have a single point of accountability—with a smaller risk of project delays and failures.
Eaton’s engineers can start up and commission equipment, perform planned maintenance, monitor performance and diagnostic problems remotely and respond to emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
These buildings reduce the need for construction on remote sites and offer the added convenience of a control room and office space.
These Web-based power quality meters with built-in Web servers help you monitor branch circuits and other applications through an easy-to-use Web interface, so you can predict problems before they happen.