Today’s new construction and modernization projects can be complicated—with many vendors to manage, deadlines to meet and details to oversee. Often, projects extend past planned timeframes and budgets because of the difficulties in maintaining control of the operations.
With the expense and coordination that goes along with large-scale projects, it makes sense to have a dedicated, experienced project management team to ensure the project is managed properly to meet deadlines and budget requirements.
Eaton’s Project Management Approach
Eaton’s Project Management System is a patent-pending process based on a 100-point scorecard system, which includes 35 weighted items divided into four project phases. This system ensures a consistent approach to each project, effective communication and planning and provides visibility within the company for any issues or risks associated with the project as those risks appear.
Eaton is serious about taking this care in project management, because projects rarely go smoothly from start to finish. Communications systems that drive early planning and can identify unintended consequences from project changes early in the process are essential. Course corrections and risk-mitigating action plans are the result.
Eaton’s Project Management Team
Eaton’s project management organization utilizes a focused team approach to manage all project orders from before the project starts to beyond closing for single-point project responsibility.
- Lead project manager (PM): the primary Eaton contact for the customer who will manage resources to exceed project objectives while meeting customer milestone dates
- Project engineer (PE): the team member responsible for specification/drawing review, all documentation, value engineering, change order management, technical support and product and application issue resolution
- Technical services team (TS): supports the PM and PE for base documentation development, operation and maintenance manual development, product technical support and issue resolution
- Project coordinator (PC): the team member responsible for order entry, logistics, status, financials, expediting and change order administration
Technical and Logistical Project Management
This service provides single order from Eaton or separate orders for each type of equipment, depending on the project requirements. Further, this offering includes coordination of documentation, delivery and the testing plan, as well as schedule coordination and status updates on delivery of Eaton equipment.
On-Site Integrated Project Management
This project management solution enables a single order for “Eaton and friends” equipment and selective coordination and integration with third parties and contractors, as well as system design troubleshooting and resolution of unanticipated issues.
On-Site Turnkey Project Services
This service involves the complete management of electrically intensive projects, including the selection and management of preselected third parties, integration support and resolution of compatibility issues and on-site coordination of deliveries and installations.
Globally, Eaton has over $1 billion of active projects under management, with a high number of repeat customers.
Our project management organization has extensive experience in metals and mining, aggregate process control, utility, petrochemical, forest products, data centers, health care, airports, universities, government, water and wastewater treatment and all types of commercial construction.
Partial customer listing:
- Phelps Dodge
- Ash Grove Cement
- Lafarge North America
- Cementos Mexico
- Hewlett Packard
- Equinix (multiple sites)
- International Paper
- Blue Ridge Paper
- Georgia Pacific
- BP Whiting Refinery
- SUNY (multiple sites)
- NYC DEP (multiple sites)
- Duke Power (multiple sites)
- Progress Energy (multiple sites)
- Dominion Power (multiple sites)
- Johns Hopkins Medical Center
- Aberdeen Proving Grounds
- MPO Ft. Meade
- Time Warner
- Washington Navy Yard
- NASA (multiple sites)
- VA Medical Centers (multiple sites)
- T-K Steel
- US Steel
- Orange, NY Regional Medical Center
- Utica College
- University of Notre Dame
- FBOP (multiple sites)
- Yale University
- Partners Healthcare (multiple sites)
- Dana Farber