Date: April 17, 2019
SHANGHAI, China … Eaton Cummins Automated Transmission Technologies today announced at the Shanghai International Automobile Industry Exhibition it will launch a version of its Endurant™ 12-speed automated transmission. The latest version has retarder capability and a power take-off (PTO) option for the China market.
“Demand for automated transmissions in the commercial vehicle market is growing, and Endurant provides us with a great opportunity to satisfy customer demand and play a critical role in helping Chinese truck makers meet upcoming emission regulations,” said Charles Masters, general manager, Eaton Cummins Automated Transmission Technologies. “Endurant delivers industry-best performance, reliability, fuel efficiency, reduced maintenance, and driver comfort features.”
Currently, the commercial vehicle market share of automated transmissions is relatively small in China. However, Eaton Cummins Automated Transmission Technologies sees growth opportunities. According to Masters, the China market should be adopting automated transmissions at a faster rate. He noted the same conditions that prompted automated transmission growth in North America are now occurring in China, including a shortage of drivers who can operate a manual transmission and a push for the fuel efficiency and performance offered by automated transmissions.
The Endurant automated transmission is the lightest, most efficient 2,650 Newton meter-capable heavy-duty transmission in the marketplace, with even higher torques planned for subsequent versions launching in the future. Endurant is designed for heavy-duty applications where weight savings and efficiency can add to a fleet’s bottom line. Endurant has proven successful in the North American market, with more than 50,000 units in operation demonstrating a high level of reliability since its launch just 18 months ago. Endurant weighs up to 49 kilograms less than premium competitive automated transmissions equipped with retarders, and includes the following features/benefits:
• Smooth and intuitive shift strategies that enhance the operator’s driving experience;
• Predictive shifting using look-ahead technology to execute shift decisions that improve fuel efficiency and provide additional driver comfort;
• An industry-exclusive transmission fluid pressure sensor that notifies drivers of low oil levels;
• Oil volume requirements 30-50 percent below the competition and an oil change interval 25-90 percent longer;
• Capability to use a retarder to assist with vehicle deceleration in mountainous or hilly areas;
• A rear mount PTO opening for auxiliary components; and,
• Internal electrical system routing that minimizes exposure and corrosion to wires and connectors for improved reliability.
In China, Eaton Cummins Automated Transmission Technologies will benefit from the strength of Cummins and Eaton, leveraging service and support, technical expertise, and deep powertrain integration knowledge to deliver a unique, superior product and customer experience.
About Eaton Cummins Automated Transmission Technologies:
Eaton Cummins Automated Transmission Technologies is a 50/50 joint venture between Eaton (NYSE: ETN) and Cummins, Inc. (NYSE: CMI). The global joint venture produces and markets industry-leading medium- and heavy-duty automated transmission technologies.
Anna Zhuang; firstname.lastname@example.org
(86) (21) 5200-0497 (office)
(86) 159-215-99299 (cell)