Integrated surge protection is the most effective installation method for panelboards and switch boards, as it provides a number of key benefits over externally mounted applications. These include:
1. Enhanced performance—Integrating the surge protective device into the electrical distribution equipment eliminates installation lead length, significantly improving performance through much lower let-through values.
2. Ease of installation—The surge suppressor being factory installed and tested saves time and money for the specifier, as well as reduces future claims and problems for both the engineer and the customer.
3. Reduced wall space─ Integrating the surge protective device eliminates two to three feet of wall space required by an externally mounted suppressor.
4. Single source for warranty claims─ Should a problem occur, the customer eliminates potential conflicts between different manufacturers.
5. Reduced installation costs─ Elimination of contractor fees for mounting surge protective devices.
Eaton offers an aftermarket, integrated surge protector that can be retrofitted into an existing FD frame breaker slot. The RSPF is the only retrofit integrated surge unit in the commercial surge industry that fits into an FD frame breaker.